Saturday 29 September 2007

Riga - Tallinn

As I said in my last post, I was strangely refreshed in the morning. I purchased a ticket for the 10:00 bus to Tallinn, went back to the hostel to gather all my things, and then shortly before 10:00 returned to the bus station. When I got there, the Indian guy was also there. It turns out he had a ticket for the same bus. The two Australians also ended up catching the same bus. I really did not want to deal with the Indian, but he sat next to me on the bus. He said that he was a retired (even though he was only 38) investment banker from New York, and was so rich, he didn't need to work any longer. He began drinking vodka cocktails on the bus, and ended up spilling vodka all over the floor and wetting my bag. I switched seats. I had already made a reservation for a hostel in Tallinn, both the Australians and Indian said they would follow me. We got to the hostel inTallinn, and the Australians managed to pick up the last two beds available. The Indian left, thank god. I went out for a little walk around town with the Australians. They were having some sort of car show in the Tallinn main square featuring American cars. It was a bit of strange sight. We ended up running into the group of Portuguese people that were staying in the Riga hostel. While sitting with them, we saw the Indian guy sit nearby. Thankfully, he didn't see us. We got a drink with them at one bar, and then went to the Depeche Mode bar for another. The Depeche Mode bar only plays Depeche Mode music, and has memorabilia from the band all over the walls. Cider is very popular here, so I began drinking that instead of beer. The local beer here is dreadful as well. We went to dumpling restaurant and then the Portuguese had to leave to catch a bus to Vilnius. I returned to the hostel with the two Ozzies, and we sat in the common area for a while. At one point the Indian guy came in looking for us, but did not see us. He went to the downstairs bar. Eventually we headed down there as well, and the Indian had left. After a while at the basement bar, we went out to another bar in the old town with some other people. It was weird, but there were only English speakers in this bar. Mostly dirty Englishmen. One of them groped a German girl in our group. Eventually, wanting to some sleep before they leave tomorrow, the Ozzies returned to the hostel. I stayed at the bar until we switched, and had a nice chat with the German girl on an outside terrace. She recommended I not visit Munich while in Germany. The weather here is unusually warm. I returned to the hostel quite early in the morning.

No comments: