Tuesday 2 October 2007

Tallinn - Day 2

I checked out of the hostel, but left my luggage there while I went to the bed & breakfast office to find out where I was staying. On my way of the hostel, I ran into the two Australians again, who were heading to the airport. We walked past the Indian while heading out, and I waved at him. I was too busy to go and talk to him. I got my information from the bed & breakfast, and then went to the ferry terminal to buy a return ticket to Helsinki for the next day. It was very expensive, costing me about $75. I headed back to the hostel, collected my luggage, and headed to the apartment of the lady who I was staying with. She lived in an oldish building about fifteen minutes out of the old town. Not the best location, but it was close to the port. The lady, a Russian, spoke no English, but we managed to communicate. I spoke more Russian than she did English. My accommodations were basic, but adequate. I went to have lunch at the same dumpling place I went to yesterday. Afterwards, I headed to tower that the guidebook mentioned had a torture museum. I bought a ticket and was told to wait outside. At 1:00 a tour began to the barricade tunnels, the fortifications surrounding Tallinn. Although I had no idea I had purchased a ticket for this tour, it was excellent. The tour guide, an old lady with excellent English was very funny and told us all these weird facts. I did not know that Pushkin was 1/8th black for example. She also told us a long story about how thieves had broken into the tunnels and stolen everything from the tunnels made from metal to sell it for scrap. When I had finished the tunnels, I went to Kadriorg Palace, a palace built for the Tsars that had been converted into an art museum. The museum was small, but interesting, and the chateau that it was within was also very nice. There was a nice park surrounding the chateau that I walked through. By this point it was time for dinner, so I headed to the old town looking for a reasonably priced place to eat. After looking without success for half an hour, I ran into the Indian guy again, who was sitting out on a terrace. I sat with him and complained about the high cost of food. He kindly offered to buy me dinner, which I accepted. He is an interesting person, having been a banker in the past. I think that it would be a good career to get into, and he said that my history degree should not be an obstacle. After dinner, I went to a cafe, ordered a cafe and a drink and read for a bit before returning to my room and retiring for the day.

No comments: