Wednesday 24 October 2007

Free Newspapers

Everytime I approach the tube in the afternoon, I am besieged by people giving away one of two free newspapers. There is also a morning newspaper, although you have to take this yourself. These newspapers are some of the worst I've read - even worse than Vancouver Province. On most days the top story involves Madeline McCann's parents. A few days ago the front page trumpeted the fact that her mother planned to get a job in a daycare. Who cares? My favorite story was about a house in South Korea - shaped like a toilet. Despite the inane content in these newspapers, for some fascinated with mediocrity, they are an excellent read. And they certainly give a perspective into what people must like reading. I mean, the Madeline McCann is the top story everyday, people must enjoy reading about her. I prefer real news, of course, but I will still pick up the free newspapers when I can.

No comments: