Sunday 21 October 2007

Bill Clinton

This happened a couple of weeks ago, on October 4th. I went to Hatchard's on the 3rd to pick up a signed copy of Ian Rankin's newest book for my mother. On my way there, I walked past the giant Waterstone's nearby, and saw in the window that Bill Clinton would be coming tomorrow (Thursday) for a book signing at 11:30 AM. I didn't really have anything to do the next day, as my course didn't start until Friday, so I thought about how many opportunities in my life I would have to meet Bill Clinton, and realized that this was probably it. I decided to go. I left Karl's a 9:00, and got to the Waterstone's shortly after 9:30. There was already a huge lineup. About an hour later, the line started moving as people began entering the store. It turns they shut down the entire store for this event. I had to buy my book on the first floor, empty my pockets and leave all my stuff on the second, and wait in another line on the third floor. Thankfully, as I was surrounded by books, waiting in this lineup was not boring. Eventually at around 11:30, a flurry of activity took place a distance away from me. I only see camera flashes, and on my tip-toes could see someone with white hair. The line slowly moved forward. Finally, at about 12:30, I came in sight of the man. Being laft-handed, he signed the book while simultaneously shaking the person's hand. He was very nice, if you attempted to make conversation with him, he would respond. When it was my turn, he thanked me for coming and I thanked him for signing my book, and that was that. I left the store, with a signed book I have no interest in reading. But, the experience was well worth it.

No comments: