Tuesday 11 September 2007

Cesky Krumlov

I left early today for Cesky Krumlov, not wanting to spend anymore time in Budweis. I managed to just catch the 8:00 train, which was slow, but went through very pleasant countryside. I arrived in Krumlov shortly after 9:00, and tried to get down to the center, but without a map ended up in a sea of communist-tenements. Thankfully a passerby gave me directions in Czech that I got the gist of, and I found my way to the castle from which there is a terrific view of the town. I went on one of the castle tours offered, and enjoyed the interior, although it is quite similar to other palaces I have seen such as the Schonbrunn in Vienna. The most entertaining thing about the tour was the presence of a morbidly obese woman wearing a pink shirt. I find that very fat people provide me with endless amusement. After I finished in the palace, I headed into the old town where I was assaulted by numerous tour groups that blocked the path. The town was simply swarming, and this isn't even peak season! I went to lunch at a place recommended in my book that served authentic Czech cuisine. It was excellent, and definetly the best restaurant meal I have had in the Czech republic so far. After lumch, I went to the museum of torture, which was mildly interesting, but was more for tourists than education. I also went to the Egon Schiele center, as I quite like his art. It was a bit dissapointing after having been to the Leopold in Vienna. There was very little original work exhibited there. I then went to a cafe where I couldn't resist ordering an Italian coffee (apparently a coffee with Amaretto in it). I chatted briefly with two American girls at the table next to me, who led tour groups from the US and were emplyed by Disney. No, I did not know that Disney sent tours to the Czech republic. When I asked what the people were like who went on these tours, the girl said 'unworldly.' That is what I expected to hear from a 'Disney' tour. I wandered for a bit around town, and eventually ended up in the castle gardens and went up the castle tower, both of which were interesting. At around 3:00, I headed to the bus station to get the bus back to Budweis (I'm too lazy to do the Czech spelling). I had to wait for half an hour for the bus to get there, and thankfully it started raining only after I got on.

Upon my return to Budweis, it was pouring so I decided to get something to eat in the mall in which the bus station is located in. Surprisingly there was a Chinese place. I went over and tried to talk in Chinese with the guy there, but he didn't understand. I had to point and choose. He said he was from China when I asked in English. After finishing eating, I wrote a note in Chinese to give the guy to see why he didn't understand me. He took the note and gave it to another guy in the place, who came over and talked to me in Chinese. Apparently the first guy was illiterate and from the south, which is why we couldn't communicate. The guy I was speaking with turned out to be from Tianjin, and I was able to totally understand him. We had a short conversation before I headed back to the hotel. I find it so strange that in a place like Budweis I am able to use my Chinese skills.

No comments: