Sunday 9 September 2007

Susice - Day 2

Since I didn't mention it before, I should discuss the people I am staying with in Susice for those readers who aren't my family (is there anyone?). Ruza is my great aunt, and I am staying with her and he son, Jaroslav's family. Jaroslav has three children, Jakub, Petra and Katka, and is married to Hilda. At the moment Katka has moved out and Petra is on holiday, although she is apparently returning this evening.

I had to get up quite early today so that me and Jakub could catch the train to Rabi. We got there after a short ten minute train ride and spent an hour at the castle, which is very large. Unfortunately we had to wait for an hour for the next train. The toilet at the train station was among the most grim I have ever seen. We returned, and had a lunch cooked by Hilda. Since there really is not much to do here, I spent a few hours lazing around. Ruza suggested I do Sudoku, which she apparently quite likes, and so she gave me a book of puzzles. They were much to0 easy, and I finished the hardest ones in a very short time. At around three, we were headed out for a walk with Ruza when a group of middle-aged nordic walkers passed by. I thought they looked absolutely ridiculous. We walked a ways along the river and then on our return, Ruza took us to a cafe where I had a piece of cake and a tea. Normally I would never eat cake, but I feel that I should take advantage of it because I really ate very little when travelling with Stuart and am enjoying the food very much.

I got around to booking a hostel in Krakow as well. I truly hope that it will be as good as the last two I stayed in while travelling with Stuart and Charles. My solo hostelling experience has been extremely mixed. One hostel I stayed in Hangzhou was terrific, but the one in New York was crowded and unfriendly. However, the Krakow hostel is highly recommended, so I am hopeful.

Later on that evening Petra returned from her holiday in Slovakia. It was nice to see her, and she is helping me get to the train station today to depart to Budejovice. Also, I was talking to Ruza about going to China, and she told me that she didn't like Chinese people because there were so many of them and they had slit eyes. Just like my grandmother, who hated natives, it appears as though Ruza is a racist! A few more observations about the house ot Susice. Firstly, their dog is one of the dumbest I have ever met, and spends most of the day liking her genitals. Another interesting thing is the way they wear slippers in certain rooms of the house. Now I finally understand that dad's love of slippers has its roots with his Czech background. Also, those German-style toilets disturb me.

No comments: