Saturday 22 September 2007

Vilnius - Day 1

I walked about a kilometer from the bus station to my hotel. I had pre-booked this hotel in Canada, as it was a single room, and affordable ones are scarce. It is only slightly more than a hostel would cost. I like a balance between the social atmosphere and bad sleep of a hostel versus the lonely early nights but relaxing times in a hotel. The hotel itself is very nice, and is located in a great part of town. On the walk to the hotel, I enjoyed Vilnius's old town, which is very pretty. I immediately went to the internet cafe, after seeing that it closed at 6:00. After not using the internet properly for a few days, it was very good to catch up on things. Afterwards, I went to dinner at a restaurant on one of the main old-town roads. Since I had not eaten lunch, I decided to splurge and ordered two courses and a beer. The first course was beer soup, which was actually very good. For my second course I had cod with apple cider sauce which was delicious. This was one of the best meals I've had so far on the trip, and it only cost about $12 total. I watched all the people walk down the street while I ate. The Lithuanians are a good-looking people, and many of the young seem to be goths or skaters. After dinner, I did some laundry, read a bit and went to sleep.

No comments: