Wednesday 26 September 2007

Klaipeda - Riga

I got up early to catch the 9:00 bus to Riga. Spent a while on the internet, as I got up at 7:00, and there was little else to do. The bus was not very full at all. We made a stop in Liepaja, and I really had to go to the bathroom, but you had to pay. Thankfully another English speaking passenger was kind enough to spot me a bit of Latvian change. The bus trip took about six hours, and I arrived in Riga at about 3:00. Riga is quite different from Vilnius. It feels like a much bigger city, and I sense that it is more touristy. The hostel I booked is near the bus station, and so it was convenient for me to lug my bag there. The hostel seems good. THe receptionist was very friendly, and there is a large common room with a buge TV. I was quite hungry by this point and so went out to look for a restaurant to eat. Unfortunately Riga is very expensive! It is definetly the most expensive East European city I have been to so far. I walked around for about 45 minutes and failed to find a place that was affordable, so instead I went to the supermarket where I had a very affordable sandwich. I then headed over to the Museum of Occupation, yet another museum about the horrors of communism. It was quite good, but not as good as the one in Vilnius. I headed back to the hostel, and asked the guy at reception to recommend some affordable restaurants to me. He was very helpful, and I went to the traditional Latvian restaurant he suggested. It was still a bit pricey, but not as bad as the other places. The food was pretty good, although a bit strange. As it was getting dark, I went back to the hostel and started watching the movies that was showing, in this case it was Vertigo. After Vertigo, Sin City was shown, which was a very strange movie, but it was very stylish. When the movie was finished a chatted for a while with a German girl who had just checked in, and who is in my room. I went to bed just before midnight.

No comments: