Friday 7 September 2007

A day of nightmarish travel

I got up very early in order to catch the 7:10 train to Vienna. This day really was awful, as I had to get all the way to Susice, and switch trains in Vienna, Linz and Ceske Budejovice. I also wans't able to buy a ticket for the entire length, and so had to hope I ould have enough time in between my connections to get tickets. But, eight hours later against all odds, I had made it and was met by Jakub and Jaroslav. I hadn't seen Jakub in fifteen years, when he was toddler, and so it was surprising to see a young man with a beard and mustache. After getting into town, and arriving at the house, I also met Hilda, Katka and Ruza, my great aunt, who is still vigorous at the ripe age of 85. She cooked a lovely dinner of soup, goulash, knedlicy and strudel. Communication is a bit difficult, as Jakub and Katka are the only ones who speak English. It is really very nice to see everyone after such a long gap.

No comments: