Thursday 17 July 2008

Singapore - Day 2

Yesterday I woke up early and had a mediocre breakfast offered by the hostel. I wanted to the nature reserve and climb the highest point in Singapore, but as I had no guidebook, I did not want to hope that I could find my way there. Instead I went to the botanical garden, which was enjoyable. They had a terrific orchid garden, where they name orchids after heads of state. The Margaret Thatcher orchid was not very nice. I had a second breakfast of Laksa at the garden's food court, which was delicious. I love Singaporean food! I next walked out of the garden, and walked through a residential neighborhood with huge houses until I arrived at Orchard St., a shopping area. I ate Indian food in one of the food courts for lunch, and was hassled by tailors whenever I walked past one. They all wanted to make me a suit. Next, I took the subway and went to the philatelic museum. I collected stamps one day, so thought the museum might be interesting. It was moderately interesting, but the admission fee was too high. I then went to the Singapore History museum around the corner, which dare I say, is possibly the best history museum I have ever visited. It is totally interactive, with nearly no reading. Everyone is given an audioguide which directs the visit. Overall, it was an extremely pleasurable experience. When I asked mother what to do in Singapore, she suggested going to the Raffles Hotel for a Singapore Sling. I decided to go and see if it was affordable. The hotel is lovely, but my jaw dropped when I saw that the drink cost $22 (about $16 Canadian). That was too much for my liking! I stopped for dinner, where I ate Indian and retired to my hostel for the evening. I walked past a Chinese temple which had closed for the day, and returned this morning to take a peek. It looked much like the temples in China, but had nice English explanations of all the statues.

Singapore has been a very positive experience, and I would definately return. However, I think it is a place best enjoyed by people with money. I think that when I have some more money, I would like to return so I could really enjoy all of Singapore's amenities.

No comments: