Tuesday 15 January 2008

Spain - Impressions

Overall, I have enjoyed Spain. I found hte people to be very friendly, the food decent (with a few exceptions that will be discussed further on) and the sights interesting. I think the highlight was the Alhambra, the museums in Madrid, and the monkeys in Gibraltar. The best hostel I stayed in was the one in Granada (the one in Lisbon was better still, but that is not in Spain).

I had to deal with a few issues particular to Spain, with the most pressing being the food schedule. In the end, I have solved that problem by snacking throughout the day and not going to sit-down restaurants (comedores). I find the cafe culture a bit strange here, as cafes (known really as cafeterias that also serve cheap food) always have old men crowded up at the bar standing and eating their food. Going into one that is busy is a bit intimidating, as I would probably have to physically push someone to get noticed by the bar tender. The food is good, with the exception of the bocadillos (sandwiches) which are appalling. If you get a ham bocadillo it is ham and bread, nothing else. Unhealthy and unnappetizing. I did really enjoy the tapas though.

I quite like Madrid. Strangely enough, the city in Europe that I think it is most similar to (that I have visited) is Vienna. Like Madrid there is no river going through the center (the Danube runs around the center), and it also has much neoclassical architecture. Madrid has a superb transportation system. I would definetly come back, but give myself four full days here, as there are a number a possible daytrips outside the city. I also think the city would be far nicer in the summer, as it truly has a wealth of green space, that sadly in winter, is not that green.

No comments: