Sunday 13 January 2008

Granada - Algeciras - Tarifa

On my last night in Granada, the hostel served a lovely dinner of Paella which was all you can eat. I think it's good that this hostel served food. Yesterday, as I waited for my bus to Algeciras, a woman walked up to me and asked me in Spanish if she could ask me a grammatical question in English. She switched to English and explained to me that she was an English teacher and was having a dispute with her superior over how to teach her students. Apparently, her superior suggested she teach all possibilities, and not just the most frequently used. The example was should she teach just 'you're welcome' or also teach alternatives, such as 'my pleasure' etc. I told her not the bother with the alternatives as there are too many, and many of them are confined to geographical areas. She asked me if I could go speak to her class, but I sadly could not because I was leaving.

I arrived in Algeciras mid-afternoon, which is horribly ugly, and checked into my hotel. You can see Gibraltar from accross the harbour. After checking in to my hotel (which is quite nice, but not four stars as advertized), I headed back to the bus station to go to Tarifa, which is apparently very nice. The bus ride took twenty minutes and was very picturesque. Tarifa is a beach town and is filled with surfer shops and hippies. The old town is like a well-restored medina. There was wasn't much to do there but walk around, so I only spent a couple of hours there before I returned to Algeciras and enjoyed the privacy of my hotel room that I did not have in the hostels.

No comments: