Wednesday 9 January 2008

Lisbon - Sevilla

My final night in Lisbon was spent doing a wine tasting at the hostel. I tried something the Portuguese call green wine, which I was told 'many people liked'. I was not one of them, and thought it tasted foul, being slightly fizzy and sweet. In fact, all the Portuguese whites were awful, being far too sweet. I much preferred the reds. I spent all of yesterday on a marathon bus ride of eight hours from Lisbon to Seville. The bus driver took a route that violated Pythgoras' principle, and thus took much longer than it should have. On the bright side I walked around for a few minutes in Faro, a Portuguese city in the far south of the country. I had a hard time navigating when I got to Seville. A local approached me as I stood looking at my map, and she offered to take me to the plaza that my hostel was off of, but she said, that having lived here her entire life had never heard of the hostel. Thankfully, I didn't have any trouble finding it once I got to the plaza. I'm also surprised how much Spanish I can understand. I'm not really having any trouble communicating, and people aren't switching into English either. Shortly after arriving at the hostel, I went on the hostel's 'tapas night'. We went to two tapas bars, and I ordered a total of three tapas. I ate an order of Venison stew, spinach with chickpeas and fried calamari. They were delicious, and surprisingly cheap. I was completely stuffed (and I ate barely anything the entire day due to the bus ride), and it was only 6.80 euros total! After the tapas bar we went to a free flamenco performance. I thought the music was pretty mediocre, but I enjoyed watching an extremely mammose woman defy gravity while dancing. It was completely fascinating.

No comments: