Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Saxon Cities of Transylvania: Sibiu




I was surprised that I liked Sibiu more than Brasov. While it does not have the dramatic natural scenery of Brasov, the city is grander and the three central squares are lovely. Like Brasov, the city had many tourists and many outdoor restaurants. But the city felt a little less like a theme park. There were parts of the old town that tourists did not even venture to.

Sibiu also had a surprisingly good museum, the Brukenthal Museum. Despite Sibiu’s small size, the painting had some great paintings by early Dutch and German masters All of these paintings are located in a former palace.

Apparently Sibiu was completely spruced up a few years ago when it was the ‘European Culture Capital’. The effort shows. Sibiu is one of the most attractive small cities I have been to in Europe, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

No comments: