Thursday 5 May 2011

Fortified Churches: Sibiu



I also visited some fortified churches by bike while in Sibiu, another Transylvanian city. The first church I visited took me on a lovely bike rood through the forest to a small village called Cisnadioara. In the distance, I could see a stone structure at the top of a small hill at the edge of the village. The church certainly was in a dramatic setting. After the climbing the hill, I entered the simple church, which was largely bare inside. It was surrounded by a crumbling stone wall that ringed the hill. At the top of the hill I could see my next destination, the larger town of Cisnadie.

However, when I arrived at the massive church, it was closed and would not open for another hour. Hungry and impatient, I decided to return to Sibiu and also decided to tack on a third church to the day’s sightseeing. The third church was in a northern suburb of Sibiu. After a short lunch, I rode there and was disheartened to find that this church was closed as well. I don’t really think that many tourists would want to visit anyway. The town was primitive, with gravel roads and the stench of manure permeating the air.

No comments: