Monday 9 May 2011

Fortified Churches: Biertan



I was disappointed to discover that the bike rental place was shut in Sighisoara when I went shortly after arriving. This forced me to take a roundabout route to Biertan (a fortified church, and supposedly the best) via train to Medias, followed by a bus.

When I arrived in Biertan at 12:45, I discovered that the next bus back to Medias left at 9:00 PM in the evening. This news was not unexpected, and so after viewing the church and having lunch, I decided to run the 10 KM to the nearest train station.

It is rather strange to see a cathedral-like building towering over a village of dirt roads and gypsies. As for the church in Biertan, it was lovely. Double-walls encircled the church, interspersed with imposing towers. Inside the church, there was a lovely altarpiece and a door with an unusual locking mechanism.

After finishing the church, I ran most of the ten kilometers to the train station. On the way, I went through an unusual village called Saros filled with gypsies who lived in a collection of shacks perched precariously along a hillside. The town also had a fortified church that was unfortunately closed.

No comments: