Saturday 23 February 2008

Cheap Food

I got breakfast this morning and it only cost 0.80 yuan! That is about 12 cents. For that amount, I got a vegetable bun and zhou (Chinese porridge). I went back to my room and chilled for a bit, before setting out to buy a bike. This took less time than expected, as I was told that they could be bought at the student supermarket. A new bike, with a lock and basket cost me 208 yuan. For lunch, I decided to go to the Muslim restaurant. I was a bit discouraged upon arriving there to discover that much of the food was beef. It was only after finishing that I remembered that Muslims don't eat pork. Nevertheless, I had a good meal there, but at 7.60 was more expensive than the canteen.

In the early afternoon, I decided to go out on my bike to look for a gym. Unfortunately it was freezing and my new bike broke! The wheel got out of alignment and would not turn without hitting the frame. I had to take it back to the store to get fixed. By this time, I did not feel like looking for a gym, and so returned to my room. I had a shower, as the hot water times are limited and could not have on in the morning. I went this evening to the Muslim restaurant and got hot pot. It ended up being better than the hot pot I had at Ding Ding Xian, and for two people was only 48 yuan, including two big bottles of beer.

No comments: