Wednesday 5 December 2007

Edinburgh & Brussels

In the past two months I have visited both Edinburgh and Brussels, and will present my thoughts on both cities.

Edinburgh: I went here in mid-October, and it was nice that it wasn't too cold. Overall, Edinburgh is a lovely city. I visited the castle, which was very interesting, especially the history of the crown jewels. I also saw the art museum which was fantastic. Edinburgh, has a very Gothic feel, with all the buildings being gray and old (at least in the center). I tried to buy a map of county Angus at map shop that I stumbled across, but they didn't have it in stock. I would love to go back for a few more days, especially to climb up the mountain and visit Crichton Castle.

Brussels: I went two weekends ago to visit Stuart, who is studying at the French language university in Brussels. I took the Eurostar, which despite its price, was extremely convenient. I had the luck of finding an abandoned first-class kit in the departures lounge before leaving, and so I was able to enjoy wine on the trip over. Brussels is a nice city in the centre, but many historical buildings have sadly been torn down, and surrounding areas are quite ugly. Due to the short days (and late departures from Stuart's), I did not really get to see much of Brussels, although I had a good look of the old town at night. Nevertheless, I got a good feel for the city. I'd go back, but beond what I did (visited two museums, the atomium and gone on a walking tour), the only thing I would really want to do upon any return would be to visit the art museum. Nevertheless, if anything, I had a lot of fun hanging out with Stuart, and the prices were a refreshing change to London's.

No comments: