Tuesday 21 June 2011

Beijing to Tianjin (125 km)

Things started out well. I left shortly before 6 AM, before bad traffic and while it was still cool. I made good progress and finally left the built-up part of Beijing at around 8:00. I was on track to make it to Tianjin by about 14:00. Despite beginning to feel a bit tired over the next few hours, I soldiered on, stopping for lunch at 11:30, and still feeling pretty good. I was already two-thirds of the way there in about 5 hours, certainly I would have no problem completing the last third. Wishful thinking. As I arrived in the town of Wuqing, quite near Tianjin at about 13:00, I began to slow down considerably and feel more and more tired, taking frequent rests. By this time it was also very hot, and there was little shade. The next three hours of riding were very painful, and by the time I reached Tianjin proper I was on the first gear, down from six in the morning. The ride in Tianjin to my hotel was the most unpleasant of my trip, as the construction work taking place on the road left a fair bit of dust that blew into my mouth. By the time I arrived in my hotel at 16:15, I was filthy and exhausted. I went out for a quick dinner and was tired that I fell asleep at 18:30 and slept for 11 hours!

No comments: