Saturday 30 April 2011

Easter



Easter in Romania seems to be a big deal. I found out today that basically everything will be shut on Sunday and Monday – a bit of a concern for me given my limited time. I don’t want tourist attractions and restaurants to be shut down.

While I was having lunch in the square on Good Friday, a great bunch of old people came walking in as part of a religious procession. At the head of the procession, several men were carrying a cross. They were followed by a group of youth in while and a priest as well as various other important looking people. While I initially thought that people are more ‘devout’ here than in Canada, the age of the people in the procession dispelled those thoughts. I think that Easter here is now more like a holiday than a religious event.

For Easter itself, Romanians have a tradition involving candles. When they go to midnight services on Easter, they also bring a candle with them. During the service, the candle is lit and is to be taken home following the service. The goal is to maintain the flame all the way home. Apparently if the candle stays lit all the way home, a wish will come true.

No comments: