Monday 9 June 2008

Unusual Food


I have been enjoying some strange food in China. I particularly enjoy trying strange types of meat. Dog is one such meat that many people know is eaten by the Chinese and Koreans. I had the pleasure of trying Dog a couple of months ago and it was quite good. I had dog ribs. The bones are actually extremely soft, so you can eat them. The dogs apparently weigh ten kilograms.

There is a famous Peking Duck restaurant in Beijing called 'Chuan Ju De'. While more famous for its duck, they also had Deer Penis soup on the menu. We ordered this because some others also wanted to try it. It was overall quite tasty. The penis was cut into very thin pieces.

On Sunday I tried frog at a Hunanese restaurant. It was extremely good, although a bit boney. It was sort of like a mix between fish and meat. You could tell by looking at the meat that it was different, as there were large veins visible. I'm also very keen to try cat, but I hear that is only available in the south.

No comments: